Sometimes it pays to be cheeky!! A local antique shop had some gorgeous beaded fringing about 3 metres long decorating one of the cabinets. I always admired it but it was not for sale, however, I told the man who owned the shop that if he ever wanted to sell it, to let me know first. Last time I went in, it was gone – sold – sold to someone who came in and offered an instant price-he-couldn’t-refuse. I was really disappointed as it was never a negotiable sale whenever I went in and let him know how I felt, ie. hopping mad! Suddenly the guy remembered promising me first offer and felt really bad. So bad, in fact, that he dived under his counter and GAVE me for FREE these two ancient German glass salesman’s samples of beaded fringing. I’m going to try and reproduce the one with the continuous border first but will have to work out the design using graph paper. I thought they were really beautiful, although it is a pity that I can’t see the actual floral pattern on the garland fringe and seeing as it didn’t cost me anything, all was begrudgingly forgiven. They will look gorgeous around two bedside lamps, one of each design. My challenge for the month!!
Category Archives: Beading
This fan started off as a simple gold charm which I glued in place using Gem Bond. When it was dry, I stitched a row of purple glass Bugle beads along the edge, followed by a row of transparent gold glass seed beads and then an outer row of tiny red pearlised seed beads. I used 2mm red ribbon to cover the metal loop which I had attached to the fabric with gold thread by tying a bow, stitching it in place then twisting the tails of the bow along both sides of the fan.
Today I sketched a few ideas for using Bugle beads as part of seam embellishments in Crazy Quilting. I have heaps of bugle beads in a tin, all colours and sizes and I thought they’d be good to include as part of a design. I used the candle idea on my Christmas Ornaments and that worked so the others probably will too. Feel free to use these ideas yourself, I’m sure there are hundreds more ways to use these beads.
I made this dark red taffeta outfit to fit a Barbie doll just so I could add the embroidery and beading. The complete outfit consisted of a pencil thin skirt, a separate bodice, a full pleated overskirt which opened down the front with back-flaps on either side, a short bolero-style jacket and a tiny matching clutch purse. The bodice, overskirt and jacket all had twining stems and leaves embroidered in a combination of one strand of Rajmahal art silk thread combined with one strand of Kreinik blending filament. This is my favourite combination for embroidering the seams of crazy quilting as well. The beads were dark red pearls. I had a lot of fun with this outfit although I don’t think I’d ever make another one.
This is one of my favourite Bridal outfits I have made for a Barbie doll. The whole bodice was beaded, back and front, the headpiece was beaded and sequined, the fabric was ivory silk with a huge frilled skirt. This was my first attempt at making custom jewellery and long gloves.