Here is a close-up photo of the front of the bag showing a beaded hand-dyed butterfly motif which was one of first attempts at “painting” the dye onto lace. Sandie gave me some hand-dyed ribbon which I put to good use and she also gave me the little tatted motif and mauve flower at the top, while Mary Lewis sent me the glittery ruffled ribbon in the front. I printed the lady out onto cotton and embellished her, the pansy and diamond shaped motifs were received in swaps and my pride and joy – that mottled piece of fabric at the bottom – silk crepe which I dyed at a dye course I did several years ago. I enjoyed working on the crazy quilting part but I get impatient when it is time to actually put the thing together.
Monthly Archives: June 2006
This is the tote bag I finished today (well, I’ve still got a little bit of handsewing on the inside to to). I bought the raggy fringe from Flights of Fancy boutique in USA then had to choose colours to match. The fringe was a sludgy purple/cerise pink/olive/turquoise/old gold blend so was quite difficult. I put a plain fabric back on it with matching lining. The handles are from my usual source! Charity shops!!!!
Well, this would have to be the best thing that has happened to me in a lifetime! Eddie and I paid a deposit on a studio for me to be built in the back yard. It will measure 5 metres across by 4 metres deep and will be insulated on the walls and ceiling because of our high summer temperatures. A split-system air conditioner and heater will be on one wall and a large window in the other. This is the corner of the garden which will have to go, as you can see, not much there anyway…….shame about the lemon tree! Eddie has decided to clear the fences of creepers and paint them all green with terracotta capping before the studio goes in. The front of it will line up with the brick paving of the patio in the foreground, the brick paving where the garden lounge is will go, the back of the studio will be the back fence and it will go about as far again to the left of the photo. I am a very happy little Vegemite at the moment!
It was a beautiful autumn day, so my husband Eddie and I both took the day off work and drove to a country town east of Perth called Toodyay. We wandered around the main street, had a lovely meal in one of the local pubs and I went shopping in St Vincent de Paul’s charity shop. These were the best op shop finds I have discovered in a long time. I paid just $10 for both tops, the red one has swirls of red pearls in three sizes with other swirls of red glass beads and the yellow linen blouse has rayon lace around the sleeves and collar, a different wider rayon lace around the top of the sleeves at the shoulders and four rayon lace rose motifs on the fronts. I think the blouse must have been made up white and then dyed because everything is exactly the same shade of yellow.
On one of the crazy quilting on-line groups I am in, we were discussing storage systems for our crazy quilting fabrics. Here’s my method – simple clear plastic containers holding 6 inch squares of fabric sorted by colour. My beads are are in clear containers with divided sections – also sorted by colour. I find it helpful to always cut my material up into 6 inch squares straight away so I don’t finish up with a pile of second hand clothes, yardage fabrics and odd shaped pieces.
Dianne gave me some left-over coppery coloured knitting yarn so I thought I would include it on her bag somewhere. It was a coarse, scratchy metallic braid and I tried just stitching it along a seam which didn’t work so I worked some basic silk ribbon embroidered flowers along a seam. To my surprise it worked really well and apart from having to use a needle with a very large eye and having to really tug it through the seam, it wasn’t hard to sew. The end result is some very satisfactory daisies which added sparkle and glitz to the crazy quilting.