This fan started off as a simple gold charm which I glued in place using Gem Bond. When it was dry, I stitched a row of purple glass Bugle beads along the edge, followed by a row of transparent gold glass seed beads and then an outer row of tiny red pearlised seed beads. I used 2mm red ribbon to cover the metal loop which I had attached to the fabric with gold thread by tying a bow, stitching it in place then twisting the tails of the bow along both sides of the fan.
Monthly Archives: February 2005
Yesterday was hot, really hot, a scorcher in fact. The official temperature was 42 degrees celsius which is approximately 107 degrees farenheit but out here in the Swan Valley in Western Australia, you can always add on a couple of degrees. So, the dog and I spent the entire day in front of the air-conditioner which was a wonderful opportunity to do nothing else but sew on Linda’s block. I had added the lace fan, braid around the top of the pieced fan and beads on the left hand side on Monday so yesterday I could just embroider away to my hearts content. I started at 9am and apart for meals, I finished at 9.30pm. I’m happy with it, I hope Linda is when she sees it.
While I have been waiting for Linda’s DYB6 blocks to arrive this week I have been having a play with copper coloured threads, buttons and other doo-dads. I wanted to make one of those 3 1/2 inch x 2 1/2 inch Artist Trading Cards but not for swapping, just to see how it would work out. I included some of the blue and green colours of copper tarnish as well, then buttonhole stitched the edge using a fine copper wire. It was a lot of fun to do as I didn’t start out with any sort of a plan, just jumped in and started stitching and adding doo-dads. Now I am hooked and will have to make some more. These little crazy quilt versions make a great starting point for something bigger in the future.
Today I sketched a few ideas for using Bugle beads as part of seam embellishments in Crazy Quilting. I have heaps of bugle beads in a tin, all colours and sizes and I thought they’d be good to include as part of a design. I used the candle idea on my Christmas Ornaments and that worked so the others probably will too. Feel free to use these ideas yourself, I’m sure there are hundreds more ways to use these beads.
Ginny is only about 7 inches tall so the embroidery on this collar is really tiny. I used one strand of art silk for the Bullion roses, leaves and French knot flowers. This is the size I use for the embroidery in the middle of a crazy quilt patch whereas if I were covering a seam I would use two strands. The little dress was in cotton micro-check gingham with matching knickers and a white petticoat.
These are the first Christmas Ornies I have made using crazy quilting. They were for the Southern Cross crazies’ 2004 Christmas Ornie swap and when I first made them I thought they were OK but now I’d like to get them all back and add, add, add!! I’d use a lot more colours than red, green, gold and cream if I did them again. Next year I think I will use all the brilliant and vivid oriental colours of the Three Wise Men.